SALT POND HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
The meeting was called to order by President Bill Kester at .
· Board Members Present: Bill Kester, Dick Crawford, Katherine Coulson, Ronnie Malone, Jim Kennedy, Michael Headman and Gerry Buckley.
· Golf Course Manager: Bruce DeForest
· Homeowners Present: Lois Howlett, Pat Kennedy, Jan Shaeffer, Jim Beachboard, Loeda Stango, Al Stango, Noel Tuck, Bob Buckley, Gary Clipp, Tom Hannigan, Tom Anfinson, Mary Davis, Carol Kester , Wilbur Pearce and Ann Crawford
· Legum and Norman: Donna Hemphill
Bill K. thanked everyone who covered for him the past three months. The minutes of the March meeting were approved unanimously.
There was no Treasures report.
Legum and Norman Report:
· Donna H. stated that she has been making site inspections in the development and phone calls followed by letters have been sent to individual homeowners whose homes need power washing, grass and weed cutting, etc. Colony Pool Services was hired for $5,000.00 to do the expansion joints in the outdoor pool and bids were received to power wash and paint the community center.
There were no concerns raised by the homeowners who were present.
Golf Club Report:
· The maintenance crew has been at hard work preparing the course. Some of the plants have been delivered and they will start to plant them. Bruce also reported that the flammable cabinet, as also the eye wash recommended by the Cabe report has not been installed. The cable on the net for the driving range has snapped and they need a cherry picker before it can be replaced. The snack bar has been cleaned and painted. The new well for the course will cost $29,000. This project will not be done at this time. They will be working on signage against golf cart path walking and the pedestrian crossing signs.
Bill then recognized Al & Loeda Stango, Frank Cappella and Gerry Buckley for their work in cleaning and painting the snack bar and outdoor bathrooms. He also thanked Gary Clipp who stepped in at the last minute to do the newsletter.
· Architectural: there was no report
· Calendar: Katherine C. addressed the issues that are to be reviewed each month. Gerry B. recommended that we develop a tickler file so that we would have copies of contracts and needs that must be addressed each month. When Chuck G. returns Gerry will obtain copies of all contracts, look for the renewal date and put them for review three months in advance. Jim K. stated that the original copies should not be in this file.
· Club House Maintenance: Michael H. reported that there was nothing new. Dave Flickinger looked at the roof during the recent rains and there were no leaks. The question was asked as to whether or not a termite inspection was done prior to the closing. No one knew the answer. Donna H. will contact the company that handles the pest control and inquire if they have done one.
· Club House Rentals: there was no report
· Communications: Michael H. reported on the newsletter that was e-mailed to all residents whose addresses we have and also a hard copy was sent by mail. The July newsletter will only be sent by e-mail unless a homeowner makes a specific request for a paper copy. Gary Clipp reported that at the present time we do not have the addresses for 55 homeowners. In the upcoming mailing for the elections there will be a special notice to those individuals requesting this information.
Engineering: It was reported that there are two new street
signs that have been stolen. Dave F.
will put an epoxy on top of the screws so that they cannot be removed. Donna will order replacements.
· Finance: no report
· Golf Club: Ronnie M. reported on the Marketing Committee’s preparation for the grand opening. She mentioned that the course is over budget in sales and under budget in spending. The May 17th festivities are for golfers and non golfers alike. There will be two shot gun starts: one at and the other at . A catered lunch will be served from to . The cost for the golf and lunch for members is $25.00 and non members $40.00. $15.00 is the cost for lunch and no golf. All homeowners will receive a mailing this week to register for the event. Local dignitaries are expected to attend and there will be information in the local papers. The ad in the Chamber of Commerce booklet has been changed to reflect our motto “Play Without Devoting The Day”. Bob Poetsch, Dave Watkins, Dave Kratch, and Bill Kester will provide ranger training for the volunteer marshals. The volunteers will work in two shifts from till . Bill read a financial report from Wendy Parker, the golf club accountant. It was a good month financially with 26 families and 33 single memberships. Fourteen of these are new members. We exceeded the budget by $1,500 on greens/cart fees. We still have legal fees to be paid related to the closing; we purchased the tee time software package rather than subscribing on line (it will pay for itself in two years); and the fertilizer bill, which will be substantial will come in April. There will be some additional expenses for the snack bar to bring it up to code. Gerry B. spoke about the need to purchase a commercial refrigerator and ice machine for the snack bar. Charlie Smith has been helpful in helping us with these items. The cost for the two will be approximately $4,700.00. The ice maker has a large enough capacity that the grounds keepers will be able to utilize it for the water coolers. The Board approved the expenditure for the appliances. Dick Crawford gave all Board members a copy of the registration for Frank Slahetka with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Frank has been active in trying to control the Canadian Geese population and this registration authorizes him to take some preliminary measures to curb their growth. We are also high on the list for the government agency to assist us in early June, Bill went on to explain that the golf course needed a separate corporate status since it was for profit and SPHA is non profit. The corporate name is Salt Pond Golf Course Operations, Inc. This corporation will have three directors and five Board members. It will be run by the Board and responsible to the homeowners.
· Insurance: no report
· Landscaping: Loeda Stango will replace Chris Brown as chair of the Landscaping Committee. She reported that the committee has been planting grasses, donated by the golf course maintenance and individual homeowners, along the medium strip on Bethany Loop. Also, some of the flowers have arrived and the committee will be planting them this week. A discussion ensued as to whether or not plantings should be done at the two entrances off Central Ave and Fred Hudson Road. It was decided that we do not know when construction will start on SPP so we will maintain these areas this year. It was also noted that we are responsible to cut the grass along Fred Hudson Road from Central Ave. to McCoy’s Way. Loeda will notify Lawnworks of this and ask that he readjust his bid to reflect the additional work.
· Legal: Jim K. reported that we have taken legal action against one homeowner for non payment of the annual assessment. He also elaborated on the newly formed corporate status of the golf club.
· Handyman: This committee name has been changed to more adequately reflect the nature of the work. Dave F. obtained estimates to cover the windows in the exercise room to filter the sun. It was determined that it was too expensive and the issue was tabled. Other jobs were mentioned that Dave will be starting next week.
· Newsletter: report is under communications
· Planning and Zoning: Bill mentioned that the bike path through the fresh pond is almost complete and the report from P&Z states that there is no route down Fred Hudson Road because the SPHA will not give permission to use the development roads. Mr. Zimmerman has agreed to construct a path along the roadway once he starts construction but no time table has been set.
· Ponds & Wetlands: Chris Brown will now replace Louis Herndon as chairperson of the committee. Jim Beachboard shared a copy of the letter the committee composed to be sent to the homeowners whose property is contingent to the non- golf course ponds. It explains that there will be a meeting of these individuals on June 21st to clarify the types of activities and human impact allowable within the conservation easement. He also gave Board members a copy of the homeowners affected by these regulations. Donna H. received a fax from Ken Simpler informing her that the easement markers have been ordered and they should be installed in the near future.
· Recreation: The committee was represented by three of its members: Mary Davis, Jan Shaeffer and Ann Crawford. Mary reported on the proposed tennis clinic to be held this summer. The committee recommends that the program go forward with the following conditions: one court will be rented by the pro on Tuesday and Thursday from for children and Wednesday for adults at . The cost will be twenty-five dollars per session. Mr Goodwin, who has excellent credentials, will be responsible for the advertising and management of the program. We will also advertise it in the pro shop and on our website. The Board unanimously approved this plan. Jan Shaeffer shared with the Board a proposal from the Women’s Club that they sponsor recycling containers at the pool this summer. When the state was contacted about the programs they offer for communities they were informed that the state only concentrates on individual residents and has no program for communities at large. Since we would only have two recycling containers with collection every two weeks it was decided that this would not be a program we can participate in. Jan also requested of the Board that we lower the age of individuals using the exercise equipment from 18 to 16. Again the Board approved. For the homeowners to receive their guest passes for this year the committee is recommending that instead of mailing that they be distributed by the attendants at the indoor pool and also at the General Meeting. The Board agreed. A request was made to keep the indoor pool open until June 18th. Jan explained that the indoor pool can only accommodate 35 people at a time and there is no way to control the numbers when the outdoor pool is open. Another factor is the cost of operating the indoor pool. It runs about $1,550 per month to operate the pool and this does not include the cost of propane. The Board denied the request to keep the pool open during June. Ann Crawford then shared with the Board the members of the committee and what their responsibilities are: Bill Loschman, chairman; Jan Shaeffer, indoor and outdoor pools; Joyce Poole, tennis; Mary Davis, community center and fitness center equipment; Ann Crawford, scheduling attendants; Josie Salovich, collecting monies from passes; Dave Bartages, schedules meetings; Frank Slahetka and Rose Amato. It was also requested that there be no plants inside the pool area during the summer months. The leaves get blown into the pool and are clogging the drain.
· Transportation: no report
· Website: Gary C. reported that he has included a picture of the pro shop on the golf club website. He also mentioned that when you Google the golf club website Rupert Smith’s site comes up first. It is thought that in time ours will come first.
· Bill stated that there was some minor unfinished business related to the settlement on the golf course. We owed the developer for some utilities and he owed us for gift certificates. When Bill called the developer to try and finalize the transactions the developer was uncooperative. As a result this is in the hands of the attorneys.
· Gerry B. spoke to the postmistress at the Bethany Beach Post Office regarding the lack of mail boxes for the residents. She informed her that there are empty boxes in the mail room and the individual homeowners only need to come and apply for one.
· Parking and Rental Guidelines: The committee met but there was no report available.
· Gerry B. requested that we establish a petty cash fund for small expenses that are incurred by the homeowners: ex: small mailings, minor supplies. It was decided that it will be discussed with the treasurer when he returns.
· A concern was raised about markers that individual homeowners have installed on their property to protect their lawns. A safety issue was raised that if a child, riding a bike, fell on one, they could be seriously injured. A discussion on the liability of the SPHA should an accident happen was held. Jim K. expressed concern since these markers on not on the individual’s property but on the easement. Further investigation will take place with the insurance company and a study by the Board.
· The Recreation Committee has decided that they will clean the pool furniture themselves rather than incur the expense of hiring outside help. They will recruit volunteers to work on Friday, May 16th to work in two shifts.
· A request was made to look into the possibility of having a beach trolley from the community center several times a day. Donna H. stated that another community in the area is paying $42,000.00 per season to provide this service. The consensus was that we would not even explore this idea.
Meeting adjourned at . Next meeting is May 16, 2008
Gerry Buckley, Secretary
April 21, 2008